Thanks to content marketing, writing SEO content is one of the hottest niches in freelance writing. It has been for a while now. I've been doing this type of online writing since 2007, and the need has only increased. Everybody - from plumbers to lawyers -- need content for their websites, blogs, social media accounts, etc. And who do many of them turn to to get it - freelance SEO writers.
"But," you may be thinking, "where do I start?"
That's a valid question. It can seem daunting - sometimes, knowing that a service is so needed can cause "paralysis analysis," because it can be hard to know what to do and where to start. So to help you focus, following is one way to land SEO writing jobs quickly. Before we get into that though, let me explain what this form of technical writing is in case you don't know.
What Is SEO Writing (aka SEO Article Writing)?
The acronym SEO stands for search engine optimization. This is simply the process of maximizing the number of visitors to a website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine, eg, Google, Yahoo!, Bing.
For example, let's say you have a business that imports Persian rugs. If someone is looking for one, you want your site/blog to be on the first few pages of Google for the term "imported Persian rugs," right? Then hopefully they click through, see something they like, and buy.
Ideally, you want to be on the first three pages of Google. Anything lower than this, and you exponentially decrease your chance of having a potential customer ever discovering your online store. Why? Get this ...
90% of clicks on the first page of Google's search results are made on organic links, and the other 10% go to paid ads. [Source: Infront.com, Value of Organic First-Page Results]
What drives "organic links" (ie, non-paid ads)? Good content - and this is why businesses are willing to pay for it instead of just shelling out money on Google ads, for example.
This phrase used above ("imported Persian rugs") is known as a keyword phrase. The way to get your website/blog to show up high in search results (eg, on the first few pages of Google) is to have lots of content on it with that keyword phrase - and related phrases (known as secondary keyword phrases) - in it.
This is a basic explanation of what SEO content writing is all about.
Now that you have a foundational understanding of this type of technical writing, following is how to start landing these types of writing jobs quickly.
Who Needs Lots of Content Regularly?
Internet marketers - and the reason is, they are constantly pumping out new products and services and need promotional material for it. What kind?
Auto responder series;
Sales letters; and
Newsletters ...and more.
And they want writers who understand search engine optimization because they know this is what it takes to drive traffic and sales.
A good place to find internet marketers who are looking for SEO writing services is WarriorForum. It is THE site for all things "internet marketing."
Freelance SEO Copywriting Rates
Rates for this type of writing - as in many freelance niches - are all over the place. And many of the ads you see on WarriorForum for things like article writing/rewriting are going to be low - so don't be surprised.
But, you don't have to settle for those rate. If you're new to this type of writing, you may want to take on a few of those assignments to get your feet wet and to learn some things (eg, what goes into writing a good landing page, what is an email auto responder series, how to write a sales letter that pulls, etc.).
Then, once you have some experience under your belt - and you don't have to do very many of these assignments to get the hang of it, then you can start targeting higher-paying clients elsewhere with confidence. And that's when your freelance SEO copywriting career can soar.
Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.
About the Author: Yuwanda Black has freelanced since 1993. She heads New Media Words, an online writing company, and is the webmaster of InkwellEditoria.coml, a leading portal for information on how to start or grow a successful freelance writing business. Log on and get the free eBook, "Living the Freelance Life! How I Live Internationally and Have Earned a Living Completely Online Since 2007," when you subscribe. Ready to take the leap? Learn everything you need to know to start high-paying freelance online writing career TODAY. Get more info on how to make money quick as an SEO writer.
Connect with the Author: Learn more about Yuwanda. Connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.