As the owner of an SEO content writing agency, I'm often asked if this niche is a smart career choice.
SEO Copywriting: Who's Curious about This Profession
Usually, I'm asked this question by three different groups: (i) aspiring freelance writers; (ii) existing freelance writers who want to expand their service offerings to offer this kind of content; and (iii) those who've lost their jobs, been laid off and/or are looking to make a career switch. Following is a recent question from a professional who falls in the last category. He wrote, in part:
First, thank you very much for providing such excellent resources. I purchased your "How to Make $250 or More Per Day..." yesterday from Amazon (I wanted it for Kindle), and I've been learning a lot. I'm considering taking [a certificate course] in Internet Marketing course (for $6K)! I'd really like to know, though, that I'm getting into a field in which there genuinely is a lot of hunger for strong, SEO-focused content.
A Little Info about Search Engine Optimization Writers
FYI, SEO content writers are also referred to as online marketing content writers, SEO writers, SEO article writers and SEO copywriters, among a few other titles. They write everything from blog posts to web articles to press releases. And, in case you don't know, SEO is the acronym for search engine optimization.
With that being said, following is why SEO content writing is an excellent, recession-proof career option in 2013 and beyond.
1. SEO writing pays well. The average salary for an SEO copywriter in US dollars as of late summer 2012 stands at $48,000, according to job search site Indeed.com/salary (see graphic). This is right in line with the median income in the U.S. as of January 2012, which was $50,020, according to data derived from the monthly Current Population Survey (CPS) and published in a report by Sentier Research.
There aren't many career options out there where you can literally start out making the median income; in most, you have to work up" to this.
This brings us to the next reason SEO article writing is one of the best career options for 2013, which is . . .
2. It's easy to train for. You can learn everything you need to know in an in-depth SEO content writing seminar. And, it can be done in less than a week. While writing for SEO is a form of technical writing, it's not complicated at all.
A well-designed seminar given by a professional who knows the trade can walk you through the concepts step by step. Once you see how they build upon each other, it'll make perfect sense. Now, you do have to continually study beyond taking a class, because the rules of search marketing change all the time.
But again, once you have the foundational knowledge of the ins and outs of search engine optimization, it's relatively easy to stay abreast of the changes by reading industry-leading sites like WebProNews.com and SearchEngineLand.com.
3. You can do it from anywhere. SEO content writing is an excellent home-based business. And, you can even take it on the road. As an SEO writer, I've literally completed client projects from beachside bars, internet cafes, kitchen tables of friend's apartments and in my jammies at my own home.
4. Low start-up costs. If you have a computer/laptop and an internet connection, you're basically in business. I started my business with $0. I already had a computer and internet connection at home, and I knew how to build simple websites, so I did my own.
Within a couple of months, I was so busy I had to hire other web writers -- and less than a year later, I had started a full-fledged SEO writing company, offering a variety of services to clients, eg, social media, article distribution, press releases and more.
5. Companies are investing in SEO. . . . SEO content in particular. Proof?
The B2B Marketing Trends 2011 survey [revealed that] . . . eighty two percent of B2B marketers reported using content marketing the creation and publication of original content, such as blog posts, photos, videos, website resource pages, case studies and white papers to enhance brand's visibility in their marketing strategies . . . Investment in any new marketing channel can be troublesome for some companies. However, outsourcing the process to third-parties with dedicated content writers can make the initiative more seamless (emphasis added).
This last part is particularly important, because it means that companies outsource their content needs to -- who else -- freelance SEO copywriters.
If you're looking for a fun career, with low/no start-up costs, where you can work from home (or on the go) and earn good money, SEO content writing should top the list.
About the Author: Yuwanda Black heads New Media Words (NewMediaWords.biz), an SEO writing company. She's the author of numerous ebooks on the subject, as well as the creator of a leading SEO content writing course. The course teaches everything you need to know about not only how to write SEO copy, but how to earn $50,000 to $75,000 per year your first year as an SEO writer. You can take it online, or in person -- in Jamaica!
Learn more Yuwanda via her Google+ Profile.
Keywords relevant to this article: seo content, seo content writing, seo article writer, seo content writer, seo writing, SEO Article writing, freelance business, freelance writing, write seo copy, seo copywriter training, seo copywriting training